I have been buying watermelons almost every week this summer. For a short while, Trader Joe’s had yellow-flesh watermelons, but they disappeared almost as quickly as they arrived. If you happen to see any, grab one while you can. They are super sweet and make for a pretty fruit salad.
I first had watermelon cucumber salad years ago and have always been intrigued by this combination. Crisp, juicy, and ultra refreshing on a summer day. It’s great as a side dish to any barbecue, or as a healthy snack on a hot day. I used Persian cucumbers, which are small, seedless, and thin-skinned so you don’t need to peel them. If you’re using regular cucumbers, I recommend peeling and seeding.
I decided to add some yellow tomatoes from a box of Trader Joe’s heirloom mix tomatoes I had on hand, and I liked how they added happy sunny yellow color to this summer dish. You could add other crunchy vegetables such as jicama. I think orange supremes (fancy word for orange segments) would be great too. And if you like feta cheese, try sprinkling some on top.
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed
- 3 cups cucumber, cubed (peel and seed if using regular cucumbers)
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, cilantro, or mint
- Place watermelon, cucumber, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add lime juice and salt, and toss gently to coat. Garnish with basil.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving. If making ahead, store in fridge.