These warm days of summer are perfect for fresh summer salads and burgers on the grill. Trader Joe’s has a terrific selection of ready-to-go burgers including beef, chicken, turkey, salmon, and vegetarian. On the side, try this easy and delicious summer salad, made with corn, arugula, red onion, and colorful heirloom cherry tomatoes. This recipe was sent to us by Marcy Rosenthal, holistic nutritionist, who shared her yummy Quinoa Salad with Lime Dressing and Shrimp recipe earlier this year.
Most of the burgers at Trader Joe’s are available frozen and usually seem to be frozen in an oval shape rather than round. I’m not sure why, except for ease of packaging. Interesting varieties include the Never Never Angus Beef Burgers which are called so because there are “Never Never any hormones added, antibiotics, steroids, artificial flavors, or anything but natural.”
In the frozen aisle, you can also find the Classic Buffalo Burgers, which are flavored with roasted mushrooms, onions, and white cheddar cheese. If your preference is chicken or turkey burgers, take a look at the Chile Lime Chicken Burgers or the Pesto Parmesan Turkey Burgers. The chicken burgers are actually featured in a winning recipe on the Trader Joe’s Sandwich Faceoff (the recipe is Crunchy Chicken Sandwich). And if you like vegetarian burgers, there is a wide selection at TJ’s, including Dr. Praeger’s brand.
Top these burgers off with some cheese, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and any traditional condiments. You might consider other convenient toppings such as the fully-cooked bacon at Trader Joe’s, the ready-to-serve guacamole, salsa, or the Wasabi Mayonnaise. On the side, of course, here is our fresh and crisp summer salad bursting with the sweetness of corn and tomato, complemented by the peppery bite of arugula and tang of balsamic. Thanks Marcy!
Sweet Corn and Arugula Salad
- 1 lb (16 oz) fresh corn kernels (either cut off the cob or frozen sweet corn, thawed)
- 1/2 bag (3-4 oz) fresh arugula, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 lb (1 container) cherry tomatoes (Heirloom Tomato Mix)
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette (or make your own, easy recipe below)
Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- If using frozen corn, thaw in a strainer under cold water and drain.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl. For homemade vinaigrette, whisk together all ingredients and pour over salad. Toss salad to distribute dressing and ingredients.