Our easy strawberry shortcake recipe is made even more perfect for Valentine’s day with this heart-shaped version. We used Trader Joe’s refrigerated biscuits and shaped them into hearts before baking. Pinch the bottom end of the heart with your fingers, and snip a “V” into the top with kitchen shears. Exaggerate the dough heart a little since it will slightly round out during baking.
The biscuits are then topped off with macerated strawberries (strawberries softened in sugar) and vanilla whipped cream.
- 1 (16-oz) can refrigerated biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Use ready made whipped cream from a canister or make your own (recipe below)
- Slice strawberries and place in a bowl. Stir in sugar and let sit for 30 minutes until strawberries soften and juices are released.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. While strawberries are softening, cut biscuit dough rounds into hearts by snipping a deep “V” into the top and forming the bottom into a point. Bake biscuits per package instructions.
- Cut biscuits in half, spoon in strawberries and top with whipped cream (about 4 Tbsp). Close biscuit and add more whipped cream on top along with strawberry garnish, if desired.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and use electric hand mixer to beat until stiff peaks form. Recipe makes 2 cups of whipped cream
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 30 minutes to let strawberries soften
Hands-off-cooking time: 16-18 minutes