Brighten up the fourth of July spread with this easy cake idea. Use Trader Joe’s cake mix, whipped cream topping, and an assortment of red and blue berries to create a festive dessert.
Berries are in season and Trader Joe’s is brimming with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. We had fun decorating this star cake—if you have kids, they’ll love doing this. Try the star pattern here or bake a 9 x 13-inch cake instead and create a flag pattern with the red and blue berries. A fresh whipped cream topping is a nice alternative to heavy frosting.
You don’t really need a recipe for this decorating inspiration (for most, the photo is enough) but here is one below to give you an idea of amounts.
- 1 box Vanilla Cake and Baking Mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ~1 cup blueberries
- ~1 cup raspberries
- ~2 cups halved strawberries
- Bake cake according to directions. Oil/butter pan generously so that the cake will release easily. Cool cake completely.
- Add sugar and vanilla to cream in a large bowl. Whip cream until it can hold a stiff peak.
- Spread whipped cream on cake in a smooth even layer.
- Decorate with berries. Refrigerate until ready to serve.