Pesto pizza is transformed into a delicious St-Paddy’s-Day Shamrock pizza using slices of green bell pepper. When sliced, green bell peppers with three lobes make adorable “shamrocks,” three leaved clovers symbolic of Ireland and widely associated with St. Patrick’s Day. If you’re lucky enough to find a four-lobed pepper (they’re actually pretty easy to find), make a Lucky Clover Pizza but keep in mind that only shamrocks are associated with Irish tradition.
Trader Joe’s ready-made refrigerated pesto sauce (I prefer the refrigerated version over the jarred version), ready-to-use pizza dough, and shredded mozzarella cheese make it quick and easy to put together this fun St. Paddy’s pizza.
Shamrock Pesto Pizza
- 1 (1-lb) bag refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 whole green bell pepper (with three lobes)
- 1/3 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 475° F.
- Cut bell pepper crosswise, into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- On a floured surface, roll out pizza dough to a diameter of 12 inches (14 inches for a thinner crust).
- Spread dough with pesto sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and top with bell pepper slices. Use extra pieces of bell pepper to add stems to the “shamrocks.”
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is golden.
For a crispier pizza crust, especially ones with thicker crust, parbake the crust first for approximately 5 minutes in the oven before adding any toppings. Crust should look “dry” as opposed to wet dough. Remove crust from oven, add toppings, and return pizza to the oven. Finish baking as directed.