A calzone is essentially a folded pizza, traditionally stuffed with ingredients you would find on a pizza: cheese, meats, and veggies. This delicious variation is filled with sausage, mozzarella, mushrooms, and tangy sauce. Trader Joe’s Sweet Italian Sausage has bits of green and red pepper, adding taste without adding work. Ready-to-use pizza dough makes it quick and easy to assemble. Top calzones with warm marinara, or put marinara in a bowl for dipping and pouring.
Sausage Mushroom Calzone
- 1 (1-lb) bag refrigerated Ready to Bake Pizza Dough
1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Sweet Italian Style chicken sausages, sliced
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/3 cup jarred marinara sauce, plus extra for dipping
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and mushrooms; cook and stir for about 5 minutes until sausage is browned and mushrooms have cooked down. Stir in marinara sauce and remove from heat.
- Divide dough in half, and roll out two 8–inch circles on a floured surface.
- Divide sausage mixture between the two circles of dough. Sprinkle each with half the cheese. Fold dough over into classic crescent shape and crimp edges closed with fingers or a fork. Repeat for second calzone.
- Bake calzones on lightly oiled baking sheet or pizza stone for 20 minutes or until top is golden.
Makes 2 large calzones, enough for 4 servings.