It’s been another fun and wild year, complete with a new Trader Joe’s cookbook (hooray, our third!) and the launch of our new recipe website. This year, my New Year’s Eve celebrations will include popping the corks on a couple of bottles of Prosecco. Prosecco is an Italian dry sparkling wine, and the Zonin Prosecco at Trader Joe’s is a great, easy-drinking, affordable ($6.99 a bottle) choice. It’s been a favorite of mine all year long and has earned a spot in our year-end libations.
Prosecco stands on its own, but there are also plenty of great cocktails using Prosecco. Here are just a few:
1) Limoncello Sparkle: Add an ounce of limoncello (Italian lemon liqueur) to a glass and fill the rest with Prosecco.
2) Pomegranate Cocktail: Another option is to mix Prosecco with sparkling cranberry or pomegranate juice – Trader Joe’s has both. Add pomegranate seeds for a sparkling jewel-like garnish.
- 6 tsp refrigerated fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 bottle champagne or sparkling wine, chilled
- 1 cup Just Pomegranate juice, chilled
- Put 1 tsp pomegranate seeds in each cocktail glass.
- Combine champagne and pomegranate juice in a pitcher.
- Pour into cocktail glasses and serve.
To make things even easier, Trader Joe’s sells pomegranate seeds pre-shelled and ready to go — no need to struggle with the whole fruit.
3) Spritz: If you’re a fan of bittersweet (mostly bitter) Campari, mix Prosecco with 1/4 part Campari for a drink popular in Venice (Spritz al Bitter). Trader Joe’s usually carries Campari. Aperol is another similar choice available elsewhere (buy at BevMo or other liquor store).
4) Bellini: Bring back the memory of summer with the classic combination of peach and Prosecco. Trader Joe’s Dixie Peach juice or another other peach juice/nectar will work well here.
- 2/3 cup Prosecco, chilled
- 1/3 cup Dixie Peach juice or other peach nectar, chilled
- Add peach juice to highball glasses or champagne flutes.
- Add Prosecco and serve immediately. Do not stir or the drink will fall flat.
1 bottle of Prosecco serves 4
As we close out another year, Wona and I thank you for your support of our Trader Joe’s cookbooks and recipes and for your kind words and praise. We love hearing about your favorite TJ products and sharing ours. We look forward to another fun, delicious, and exciting year!
Deana and Wona