What happens when mac-n-cheese meets a grilled cheese sandwich? Comfort-food heaven! Mac-n-cheese and bacon slices are placed in between slices of sourdough bread and grilled to golden, buttery perfection. This sandwich is perfect for leftover mac-n-cheese, and easy to make individually or for a group. For the ultimate comfort food combination, pair with a bowl of tomato soup.
For each sandwich:
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup prepared mac-n-cheese
- ? cup Shredded 3 Cheese Blend
- 2 slices Fully Cooked Bacon, crisped in microwave or pan
To make 6 sandwiches: Use 1 box mac-n-cheese (prepared with milk and butter), 1 sourdough boule, 2 cups shredded cheese, and 1 package bacon.
- Prepare mac-n-cheese according to package instructions, or reheat leftover mac-n-cheese.
- Melt butter in pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place two slices of bread in pan and top both slices with shredded cheese. When cheese begins to melt, cover one slice with mac-n-cheese and bacon; top with other bread slice. Grill on both sides until golden.
Vegetarian: Omit bacon or substitute vegetarian bacon
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free bread and gluten-free mac-n-cheese
Recipe from: Cooking with Trader Joe’s: The 5 Ingredient Cookbook