I was looking for a quick and easy, satisfying sandwich and I remembered the eggplant cutlets at Trader Joe’s. The cutlets take all the work out of preparing eggplant (no salting, breading, or frying) making it easy to enjoy in minutes. decided to pair the cutlets with some fresh mozzarella, basil, and red pepper for a fantastic sandwich. I loved the contrast of the warm, silky eggplants in their breading with the fresh mozzarella, the zing of fresh basil, and the deep sweet taste of roasted red pepper…all packaged up in a crusty panini roll straight out of the oven.
The panini rolls are terrific (I really like the parbaked breads at Trader Joe’s) but you can also use pita bread to make a pocket sandwich, or even a tortilla to eat this quesadilla-style! Fresh tomato slices would also work well in lieu of the roasted red pepper. he eggplant slices are so rich that I didn’t feel it needed a spread or any other additional condiment. If you do, you can always add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or a thin spread of mayonnaise or pesto.
Eggplant Cutlet Sandwich
- 1 Panini Rustic Roll (these are parbaked rolls) or pita bread
- 3 frozen Eggplant Cutlets
- 2 1/4-inch slices of Ovoline Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 piece of Fire Roasted Red Pepper (about half a pepper’s worth)
- A few fresh basil leaves
- If using a panini roll, place in the oven to heat ( at 400 F degrees until the top is golden). If using pita bread, cut the top off to form a pocket.
- Heat eggplant cutlets per package instructions (I heated them in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat).
- Cut the roll into top and bottom halves. Place the red pepper and eggplant cutlets on the bottom half, top with mozzarella slices, basil leaves, and the other half of bread. Enjoy!
Makes 1 sandwich