French toast is a classic breakfast, perfect for weekend mornings. This French Toast Casserole recipe uses Trader Joe’s challah bread and is cooked in the oven. It’s easy to throw together and you don’t have to stand over the stove cooking each piece individually. It does require about 35 minutes in the oven, so make it on a day when you have the time to spare.
Soft, sweet challah bread from Trader Joe’s is torn into chunks (kids can help with this part), tossed into a baking dish with a milk & egg mixture poured over on top. The result is moist French toast with a crispy, sugar-sparkled crust on top.
- One ~16 oz challah loaf (brioche loaf is also ok)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil or butter a 9×13-inch glass baking pan (use an 8×8 pan if using a smaller loaf).
- Tear the loaf into bite sized pieces and place in pan.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar. Pour mixture over the top of the bread.
- Wait a few minutes to let the liquid soak into the bread, gently tossingbread around a little to soak evenly. Sprinkle the top with a littleTurbinado sugar.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, uncovered. The Bake will puff up once done.
For a savory version of French toast casserole, leave out the sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, and instead add a drained can of Fire-roasted Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake. Not particularly “French” but very delicious!