Quiche is deliciously easy. However, most people mistake it for something fancy, complicated, and fussy. It’s not, and it’s especially easy when using shortcuts like frozen pie crust and a ready-made veggie mix to make the filling a snap. Our basic quiche recipe is perfect for experimenting with your own combo of veggies, meats, mushrooms, and herbs. If you want to make it even simpler, here’s a recipe that practically makes itself, using the Country Potato with Haricot Verts and Wild Mushrooms frozen mix from Trader Joe’s.
This easy quiche starts with Trader Joe’s frozen ready-made pie crust. Simply thaw according to instructions and place into pie dish (I like to use a glass dish so I can better judge the color of the crust as it bakes). Crimp the edges with you fingers to give a nice rustic look. The filling is made with eggs, half and half, shredded cheese, and one 16-oz bag of TJ’s frozen Country Potato with Haricot Verts and Wild Mushrooms mix. The mix is already seasoned, so nothing additional is needed.
Most quiche recipes use heavy cream, but I really like using half and half instead since the quiche feels lighter yet sets up equally well.
One of my favorite stories is when my mom sent my dad to the store to pick up some half and half. My dad (who is not a cook) called her from the store and asked “half and half of what?”
Whisk together the eggs and half and half; stir in the cheese and thawed Country Potato mix. Pour into the pie crust, making sure that potato and veggie pieces are distributed evenly.
- 1 frozen pie crust, thawed and placed in a 9-inch pie dish
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup Quattro Formaggio shredded cheese
- 1 (16-oz) bag frozen Country Potatoes and Haricots Verts, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs and half and half. Stir in the cheese and potato mix. Pour mixture into pie crust, making sure potato pieces are distributed evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve.
Tip: If using an unseasoned vegetable mix in place of the Country Potatoes and haricots Verts, add ¼ tsp each salt and pepper.