Warm your body and soul with a big bowl of hearty homemade turkey and bean chili. Refried beans thicken the chili, giving it long-cooked texture and flavor in just minutes. Chipotle salsa adds a kick of heat, while a splash of barbecue sauce balances the spice with a touch of smoky sweetness. This recipe appears in our original cookbook, “Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s”
- 1 (~1.3 lb) pkg ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped, or 1 ½ cups bagged Freshly Diced Onions
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans
- 3/4 cup refried black or pinto beans (half the can, or use entire can for thicker chili)
- ½ cup Chipotle Salsa (Or Chunky Salsa, another favorite)
- 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- Sour cream (optional)
- Fancy Shredded Mexican Blend cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until brown, breaking it up as it cooks. Add ground cumin and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add remaining ingredients. Refried beans need to be broken up and stirred into the chili until dissolved.
- When chili comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream and cheese.